Booyoolee Station

The Booyoolee Pastoral Lease was taken up in 1846 where Herbert Bristow Hughes occupied 770 sq. kms. of untamed land that he turned into a prosperous sheep and cattle station.  The eastern boundary extended north to Mt Lock, westwards through the site of Stone Hut and across to the Southern Flinders Ranges as the western…

Railways

Gladstone’s heritage is closely linked to the railways. Gladstone developed rapidly with the arrival of the railway in 1877.   When Port Pirie became the main Spencer Gulf Port, the railway was built to transport grain from the fast expanding agricultural areas to the east.  Subsequently the narrow gauge (3′6″) was extended through Jamestown to Peterborough,…